In just a few words. For an in-depth look at RING, peruse
the sub-topics listed under this menu heading.
The Riverside-Inwood Neighborhood Gardens (RING) was established in 1984 and is affiliated with the Inwood-Heights Parks Alliance (IHPA, a 501(c)(3) organization, and RING‘s fiscal agent).
By 1985 neighborhood volunteers turned a rubble-strewn lot at 1815 Riverside in the Inwood Section of Upper Manhattan, New York City, into an award-winning flower and ornamentals garden. RING won Mollie Parnis “Dress Up Your Neighborhood” contests in 1985 and 1987, and won numerous awards for flower arrangements in New York Horticultural Society competitions.
After three years, the property was sold, and in 1990, with the help of NYC Parks Department, Councilmember Michels, Assemblymember Murtaugh, and an endowment from the Trust for Public Land, the RING garden was reestablished at the triangle at the confluence of Riverside Drive, Dyckman Street, Broadway, and Seaman Avenue in the Inwood section of upper Manhattan.
RING was incorporated in 1990, when it began its second community garden in Inwood. The new garden, based on the same design principles as the original, won awards for beauty, including city-wide Mollie Parnis Contests in 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, and 1998 and the National Gardening Association award in 1992.
(An article on this topic is posted at Washington heights & Inwood Online.)